Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Generations

"And afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessings and the cursings, according to all that is written in the Book of the Law. There was not a word of all that Moses had commanded which Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel, with the women, the little ones, and the strangers who were living among them." (Joshua 8:34–35 NKJV)

Observation:  Patriarchs and Prophets gives some very interesting insight on this passage: 

Parents can and should interest their children in the varied knowledge found in the sacred pages. But if they would interest their sons and daughters in the word of God, they must be interested in it themselves. They must be familiar with its teachings, and, as God commanded Israel, speak of it, "when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." Deuteronomy 11:19. Those who desire their children to love and reverence God must talk of his goodness, his majesty, and his power, as revealed in his word and in the works of creation. – {PP 504.2}

Every chapter and every verse of the Bible is a communication from God to men. We should bind its precepts as signs upon our hands and as frontlets between our eyes. If studied and obeyed, it would lead God's people, as the Israelites were led, by the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. – {PP 504.3} – PP Ch. 46 - The Blessings and the Curses

Application:  In reflecting on these insights about Mt. Gerezim and Mt. Ebal, I am humbled and broken.  I realize how inadequate I am to the task of raising my children in the fear of the Lord.  My heart is heavy for my children this morning.  I don't know what else to do but pray.  And seek power from the Throne of Grace.

Prayer:  Lord, please save my children.  I want to claim promises for them this morning.  I want to place before you the words of assurance you have given to me:

"Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, And the prey of the terrible be delivered; For I will contend with him who contends with you, And I will save your children." (Isaiah 49:25 NKJV)

"The children of Your servants will continue, And their descendants will be established before You.""
(Psalms 102:28 NKJV)

"Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your descendants from the east, And gather you from the west; I will say to the north, "Give them up!' And to the south, 'Do not keep them back!' Bring My sons from afar, And My daughters from the ends of the earth—" (Isaiah 43:5–7 NKJV)

"I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you." (Genesis 17:7 NKJV)

"He will bring justice to the poor of the people; He will save the children of the needy, And will break in pieces the oppressor. They shall fear You As long as the sun and moon endure, Throughout all generations." (Psalms 72:4–5 NKJV)

"Give ear, O my people, to my law; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done. For He established a testimony in Jacob, And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers, That they should make them known to their children; That the generation to come might know them, The children who would be born, That they may arise and declare them to their children, That they may set their hope in God, And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments;" (Psalms 78:1–7 NKJV)

Lord, this Psalm 78 passage reminds me of that song by Sara Groves... Generations:





Generations
by Sara Groves

I can taste the fruit of Eve. 
I'm aware of sickness death and disease. 
The results of her choices were vast. 
Eve was the first but she wasn't the last. 
If I were honest with myself, 
had I been standing at that tree, 
my mouth and my hands would be covered with fruit. 
Things I shouldn't know and things I shouldn't see

CHORUS: 
Remind me of this with every decision.
Generations will reap what I sow. 
I can pass on a curse or a blessing
to those I will never know.

She taught us to fear the serpent. 
I'm learning to fear myself and 
all of the things I am capable of 
in my search for acceptance, wisdom and wealth. 
To say the devil made me do it 
is a cop-out and a lie. 
The devil can't make me do anything 
when I'm calling on Jesus Christ

CHORUS: 
Remind me of this with every decision.
Generations will reap what I sow. 
I can pass on a curse or a blessing
to those I will never know.

To my great-great-great-granddaughter, live in peace. 
To my great-great-great-grandson, live in peace. 
To my great-great-great granddaughter, live in peace. 
To my great-great-great-grandson, live in peace, live in peace.

CHORUS... Eve was the first but she wasn't the last.

O Jesus, for the generations in this household, and the generations to come... Establish Your covenant of grace, salvation, and peace with us.  Be our Covenant Keeper...  Keep us in Your Covenant.  Keep us in Your word.  Keep us in Prayer.  Keep us dependent upon You.  Keep us repentant and renewed.  Keep us mindful and watchful.  Keep us considerate of others.  Keep us hungry for home.  Keep us weeping for the lost.  O Jesus Keep our family together.  Keep us centered on You.  Keep the peace in our home.  Keep us Lord Jesus.  Keep us.

And, as our Keeper, I lift up my children to You.  They truly are the seeds of greatness you have entrusted to Ingrid and I.  Lord fill my children with Your Holy Spirit.  Fill Ingrid and I with Your Spirit.  Lord touch our lips with a coal from Your Holy Alter.  Let this home be a place of joy and peace.  Make it a dwelling of Your light and love.  Father bless our children.  Make Your face to shine upon them and give them peace.  I put our kids in Your hands.  I put our family in Your hands.  In Jesus name.  Amen.

No comments: