Monday, February 14, 2011

Devoted to Destruction

Therefore the people of Israel cannot stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. I will be with you no more, unless you destroy the devoted things from among you. (Joshua 7:12).

Valentines Day 2011.  This day is when the world celebrates love and devotion.  Question is, to whom or what are we devoted?  In this morning's reading for the RMC Conflict of the Ages reading challenge, the focus was on the Battle of Jericho, Achan's sin of covetousness, and taking of the spoil that had been devoted to destruction.

I don't particularly like this story.  Why?   Because it comes awful close to home.  I think about the Wii, I think about movies, I think about habits...  And I find myself not even wanting to ask the question... but realizing it is surely a question that must be asked... What are the things God has devoted to destruction in my life, in my home, in my church, in my community?  And secondly, am I devoted to these things?

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, my heart is deceitful and desperately wicked.  Please Lord, I confess my covetousness and greed to You.  I confess that I am steeped in this secular American culture more than I want to admit.  I confess my need of Your power and transforming grace in my life.  I confess that we as a church and as Your people can feel pretty smug and confident about our spirituality when in reality we are poor, blind, wretched, pitiful, and naked.  Jesus, You are my only hope.  You are the only hope of Your church.  And You are the only hope of the world.  

Give us a whole-hearted devotion to You.  And a desire for Your will and way in our lives.  Jesus as we place our trust in You, as we seek You with all our heart, may these words come to fruition in our lives:

God will do great things for those who trust in him. The reason why his professed people have no greater strength is that they trust so much to their own wisdom, and do not give the Lord an opportunity to reveal his power in their behalf. He will help his believing children in every emergency if they will place their entire confidence in him and faithfully obey him. – {PP 493.2} – PP Ch. 45 - The Fall of Jericho


No comments: