Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Book of Tickets

The influence of this miracle, both upon the hebrews and upon their enemies, was of great importance. It was an assurance to Israel of God's continued presence and protection—an evidence that he would work for them through Joshua as he had wrought through Moses. Such an assurance was needed to strengthen their hearts as they entered upon the conquest of the land—the stupendous task that had staggered the faith of their fathers forty years before. The Lord had declared to Joshua before the crossing, "This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee." And the result fulfilled the promise. "On that day the Lord magnified Joshua in the sight of all Israel; and they feared him, as they feared Moses, all the days of his life." – {PP 484.4} – PP Ch. 44 - Crossing the Jordan

Assurance has a purpose... to give us the confidence needed to do God's bidding.  I have had friends who have talked to me a lot about how critical it is that we have assurance of salvation...  And I've thought to myself: "Why?"  

When I have thought about assurance, it has been from this perspective...  "My assurance is that Jesus is God.  He loves me.  He will do what He has promised to do.  All of the Father's promises are yes in Christ.  Christ is my assurance."

Now when it comes to me... and whether I have believed right or confessed right... I don't always feel too self-assured.  I guess you could say I'm Christ assured.  By that I mean... If my assurance rests in my faith, my confession, or my prayers... I don't know... But if Jesus is my assurance... than this I know... He is doing everything in his power to save me... and if I'm lost it won't be because of a short-fall on His part.  It will be something in me that refused Him... is that a cop out?  Maybe.  But this is what I know....  Jesus is awesome, faithful, powerful, and mighty to save.  He is my assurance... So I'm going to just turn my eyes to Him and trust that in the light of His glory and grace, the things of this earth will grow strangely dim...

All that being said... I want to tell the world that Christ is my assurance.  I want to move forward in the faith of His perfect sacrifice for me.  I want to confidently proclaim Him because He so confidently claimed me.  I am not my own, I have been bought with a price.  So in that sense I feel very confident, very assured... because I am no longer mine.  It's good to be out of my hands... so good.  So good to be in His hands.  Which by the way reminds me of a powerful, powerful quote:

Live in contact with the living Christ, and He will hold you firmly by a hand that will never let go. Know and believe the love that God has to us, and you are secure; that love is a fortress impregnable to all the delusions and assaults of Satan. "The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe." Proverbs 18:10. (Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, p. 119). 

I think the practical application of all this is... Look to Jesus.  Look to Jesus and Live.  And secondly.  Point to Jesus.  Point to Jesus that others may Live.  Ultimately assurance is so we can point to Jesus.  How can we share what we've never received.  And how can we promote what we've never bought into.  Assurance isn't a ticket to heaven.  It's a book of tickets.  It's so you can invite your friends, family, co-workers, and even your enemies.  Is your assurance more than an entrance for one?  Has it given you the confidence to go forward and take the land for Christ?  I hope and pray it is.  If not, you might need a little more assurance or maybe a lot more.  In that case... Look and Live!

Prayer:  Lord Jesus be my assurance today.  Embolden my witness with the confidence that what You did for me, You did for all.  Let my heart swell with compassion and care for the least and the lost.  Pursue them through me.  Love them through me.  Pray for them through me.  O Jesus, let Your assurance be alive in me as You seek and save.  I just want to be lost in You Jesus that You may use my life to bring Your salvation to many a man, woman, and child.  I surrender.  I die.  I say... dwell in my Holy Christ.  Amen!

No comments: