Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Bear in My Bosom

"Where are Your former loving-kindnesses, O Lord, Which You swore to David in Your faithfulness? Remember, O Lord, the reproach of Your servants; How I bear in my bosom the reproach of all the many peoples, With which Your enemies have reproached, O LORD, With which they have reproached the footsteps of Your anointed. 

Blessed be the LORD forever! Amen and Amen." (Psalms 89:49-52 NAS95S)

Observation:  What is reproach?  The dictionary gives the following definition:

reproach |riˈprō ch |
verb [ trans. ]
address (someone) in such a way as to express disapproval or disappointment : critics of the administration reproached the president for his failure to tackle the deficiency | [with direct speech ] "You know that isn't true," he reproached her. See note at rebuke .

We are a people who have experienced expressions of disapproval and disappointment.  We have experienced those expressions from others and ourselves.  And we have internalized those expressions.  They are like tiny droplets falling on our heads, lightly at first, but soon turning to the pounding of a large sledge hammer.  BAM, BAM, BAM, is the hammering of reproach.  The worst kind is self-reproach of course...  it is when we beat ourselves up for failures, appointments not met, or expectations not satisfied.

And yet, the Messiah, Jesus, the Holy One of Israel prays for us, saying:

"Remember, O Lord, the reproach of Your servants; How I bear in my bosom the reproach of all the many peoples, With which Your enemies have reproached, O LORD, With which they have reproached the footsteps of Your anointed." (Psalms 89:50-51 NAS95S)

Prayer:  Lord Jesus thank You for taking my reproach; for bearing disapproval and disappointment in my behalf.  Thank You for bearing it in Your bosom as well as in Your flesh.  And Jesus, let Your sacrifice be enough.  Today I want to walk in the joy of Your approval, in the joy of my Father's word: "You are my beloved son in whom I am well pleased."

Lord, I need no longer bear the reproach of myself and my peers.  I need no longer bear the reproach of the enemy, because You have born it in Your bosom.  You know what You spoke to my heart several months ago when Ed Gallagher asked me if I would lead the prayer ministries.   You said... "I have rolled away the reproach."  Lord, I believe this morning is not only an encouragement that You will go with me, but is also the assurance to keep pressing on in Prayer Ministry.  

O Jesus, pray through me today.  Pray through me always.  In Your precious name I ask.  Amen!


Afterglow:

Now, however, the years of rejection were ended. Once more God acknowledged Israel as His people, and the sign of the covenant was restored. The rite of circumcision was performed upon all the people who had been born in the wilderness. And the Lord declared to Joshua, "This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you," and in allusion to this the place of their encampment was called Gilgal, "a rolling away," or "rolling off."  {PP 485.2}
    
Heathen nations had reproached the Lord and His people because the Hebrews had failed to take possession of Canaan, as they expected, soon after leaving Egypt. Their enemies had triumphed because Israel had wandered so long in the wilderness, and they had mockingly declared that the God of the Hebrews was not able to bring them into the Promised Land. The Lord had now signally manifested His power and favor in opening the Jordan before His people, and their enemies could no longer reproach them.  {PP 486.1}
     
"On the fourteenth day of the month at even," the Passover was celebrated on the plains of Jericho. "And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the Passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day. And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan." The long years of their desert wanderings were ended. The feet of Israel were at last treading the Promised Land.  {PP 486.2}

No comments: