Friday, May 29, 2009

Enlarge My Heart, Jesus

Proverbs 4:6-9  6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you.  7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.  8 Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.  9 She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you." 

Observation:  Of all that we seek and strive after… Proverbs tells us that wisdom is the principal thing.  It is the first thing.  The most sacred and most important thing we can seek after.  Wisdom is not just insight.  Wisdom isn't a high IQ.  Wisdom is the personification of God's mind.  Wisdom is the incarnation.  Wisdom is Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31  of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God -- and righteousness and sanctification and redemption --  31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the LORD." 

Surely the apostle Paul is right in saying let our glory be in the Lord; let our glory be in the wisdom from God… Jesus Christ.  Christ shows that true wisdom seeks souls… It wins them over to the ways of Heaven.  It wins them over to the love of their Father.  It wins them at the foot of the cross… the place of sacrifice.  

True wisdom walks in the way of love.  The love that covers all sin (Proverbs 10:12).

1 Peter 4:8   8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 


Application:  God is reminding me this morning that I need a largeness of heart:

Proverbs 4:23   23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

He's is reminding me of what He said in my quiet time a week an half ago on May 19, 2006.

A largeness of heart like the sand of the seashore. Wow… is this not the greatest need of a leader… A large heart born out of a large God. A large heart received from a large relationship with the almighty. I don't need riches. I don't need fame. I need a largeness of heart. A largeness of passion for what breaks the heart of God. A largeness for the lost. A longing for their salvation. A largeness of compassion for the oppressed and afflicted.

Today I hear Christ calling me to sit at his feet first every morning. I have struggled with letting other things get in the way of spending time with Jesus first. Today, I didn't read email… I didn't surf the internet… I just came to Jesus first and it has made all the difference… And I must come to him first throughout the day. When I feel tempted to worry I must come to Jesus first. When I don't know where to go on a particular issue I must seek wisdom from Him first. Pray without ceasing is not a cute quote… It is the key to surviving as a leader.

How is is this largeness of heart born?  How does the wisdom of God's love… of God's son, take hold in the life?  Through prayer.  Through meditation.  Through study.

Psalm 119:11  11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You! 

Jesus is saying to me today, hide my word in Your heart… And watch your heart grow.


Prayer:  Jesus draw me closer to You.  Let my heart meditate on Your word day and night.  Grow me in Your grace.  Enlarge my capacity to love.  Make me wise in the ways of soul winning.  For Your Glory!  Amen!



1 comment:

Martin Weber said...

I hate to admit this, but after nearly 40 years of being a Christian, it is still a daily challenge to keep God first in my schedule every morning. I do--but it's necessary for me to keep my eye on the clock so I don't cheat myself and the Lord out of an hour of prayer and an hour of Bible study. I wish I were naturally a more relational than task-oriented person, with other people and with God.
Martin