Saturday, November 24, 2007

Spirit, Water, Blood

Blood and water are elements of the Almighty. And, as The Desire of Ages states, these are evidences of a broken heart:

But it was not the spear thrust, it was not the pain of the cross, that caused the death of Jesus. That cry, uttered "with a loud voice" (Matt. 27:50; Luke 23:46), at the moment of death, the stream of blood and water that flowed from His side, declared that He died of a broken heart. His heart was broken by mental anguish. He was slain by the sin of the world. The Desire of Ages, p. 772

In addition to blood and water, The Spirit is a third evidence of the Almighty:

Luke 23:46 And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, "Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT." Having said this, He breathed His last.

Before the water flowed from His side, before Christ's blood came spilling forth, He yielded His Spirit. Blood and water are the signs of a surrendered Spirit. Flowing freely, they bore witness with Christ's Spirit of a life given in sacrifice to the glory of His Father:

7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for the testimony of God is this, that He has testified concerning His Son. 10 The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. 11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. 1 John 5:7-12.

Hallelujah, we may have life through the Son. We become beneficiaries of the Almighty through the Spirit, the water, and the blood. When we accept Christ our Lord and Savior, His Father gives us the Spirit, thereby making His children:

God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. Galatians 4:6-7.

And with the Spirit comes the cleansing water of baptism, the rite of the towel, and the fellowship of the cup; the cup of Christ's blood. With the Spirit comes the life of the Spirit: A life free from condemnation, a life free from the law of sin and death (see Romans 8:1-4).

Yes, in giving up His Spirit Christ gave up His life. And in giving up His life, He gave me life. Yes, Jesus gave His Spirit to His Father that in turn He might give it to all who would believe in Him. That which He surrendered to His Father was given back to Him that He might give it to His followers.

Application: I need the power of Christ's Spirit, I need the washing of His word, I need new life through His blood. Bottom line: I need Jesus, all of Him; Spirit, Water, Blood. Christ the one born of a virgin. Jesus, He who passed through the waters of baptism to fulfill all righteousness. The Lamb of God who was slain for my sins, who poured out His blood in my behalf: this is the one I need.

My mind is to small to comprehend His grace... my pride feels to big to surrender. Like Peter I find myself saying: "You will never wash my feet!" But if I am not washed by Him, I will not be saved by Him. If I'm not served by Him, it is impossible to serve Him. My heart is humbled. It is broken. Broken by Him who died of a broken heart; a heart broken by my sin.

Prayer: O Blessed Broken One... Broken for me. You yielded Your Spirit, You poured out your life: water and blood. I thank You. I praise You. You alone Jesus are worthy of all glory, honor, power, and praise. You alone are my Savior. You alone are God. I can't find words to give You the honor You deserve. But tears well up in my eyes and love wells up in my heart. O let me not forget the sacrifice You've made. Let me not forget the Spirit, the water, and the blood. For by these you came and went.

By the Spirit You were conceived, and You entered life through the same watery, bloody birth as I. And in yielding up Your Spirit, Your water, and Your blood, You left this life; resting in the grave on the seventh-day Sabbath. Yes, resting that I might rise, sleeping in death that I might awake to eternal life. O thank You Jesus! Thank You for Your Spirit, the water, and the blood. Fill me, wash me, cleanse me. I give you my spirit, my watery eyes, and my very life blood. Take all of me... my spirit, my water, my blood...

No comments: