Saturday, November 10, 2007

Judas Don't You Come to Close

The history of Judas presents the sad ending of a life that might have been honored of God. Had Judas died before his last journey to Jerusalem he would have been regarded as a man worthy of a place among the twelve, and one who would be greatly missed. The abhorrence which has followed him through the centuries would not have existed but for the attributes revealed at the close of his history. But it was for a purpose that his character was laid open to the world. It was to be a warning to all who, like him, should betray sacred trusts. 

A little before the Passover, Judas had renewed his contract with the priests to deliver Jesus into their hands. Then it was arranged that the Saviour should be taken at one of His resorts for meditation and prayer. Since the feast at the house of Simon, Judas had had opportunity to reflect upon the deed which he had covenanted to perform, but his purpose was unchanged. For thirty pieces of silver--the price of a slave--he sold the Lord of glory to ignominy and death.

Judas had naturally a strong love for money; but he had not always been corrupt enough to do such a deed as this. He had fostered the evil spirit of avarice until it had become the ruling motive of his life. The love of mammon overbalanced his love for Christ. Through becoming the slave of one vice he gave himself to Satan, to be driven to any lengths in sin...

Judas did not, however, believe that Christ would permit Himself to be arrested. In betraying Him, it was his purpose to teach Him a lesson. He intended to play a part that would make the Saviour careful thenceforth to treat him with due respect. But Judas knew not that he was giving Christ up to death. How often, as the Saviour taught in parables, the scribes and Pharisees had been carried away with His striking illustrations! How often they had pronounced judgment against themselves! Often when the truth was brought home to their hearts, they had been filled with rage, and had taken up stones to cast at Him; but again and again He had made His escape. Since He had escaped so many snares, thought Judas, He certainly would not now allow Himself to be taken.

Judas decided to put the matter to the test. If Jesus really was the Messiah, the people, for whom He had done so much, would rally about Him, and would proclaim Him king. This would forever settle many minds that were now in uncertainty. Judas would have the credit of having placed the king on David's throne. And this act would secure to him the first position, next to Christ, in the new kingdom.  The Desire of Ages, p. 716, 720-721.  

Observation:  How sick is the mind of evil.  The Scripture gives a somber warning to all who would yield to it:  

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! 
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
And clever in their own sight! 
22 Woe to those who are heroes in drinking wine
And valiant men in mixing strong drink, 
23 Who justify the wicked for a bribe,
And take away the rights of the ones who are in the right! 

24    Therefore, as a tongue of fire consumes stubble
And dry grass collapses into the flame,
So their root will become like rot and their blossom blow away as dust;
For they have rejected the law of the LORD of hosts
And despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. 
25 On this account the anger of the LORD has burned against His people,
And He has stretched out His hand against them and struck them down.
Isaiah 5:20-25

Judas was a man who yielded to the mind of evil.  He allowed its thoughts and jealousies to take root in his heart and they bore the fruit of rebellion and betrayal.  Judas' life is a microcosm of the great controversy; an example of all who choose the way of criticism, judgmentalism, and slander.  His life teaches us that private betrayal happens long before a public betrayal.  We betray ourselves and our conscience long before we betray our family, friends, or colleagues.  Every betrayer betrays self before  betraying another.  How sad.  How tragic.  How true.  This is the path of betrayal; it's end is the abyss.

There is another sad and tragic reality of those who entertain thoughts of evil, and it is this: Their ultimate goal become self-preservation.  But this goal is blinding.  What they fail to realize is that self-preservation always leads to self-destruction.  As Jesus said:  

Matt. 16:25 "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 

This became Judas's reality.  When he discovered that his plans for self-preservation and self-exaltation where not going to pan out, He thought their was no other alternative than self-destruction.  He saw no other way but suicide.  Surrender was no longer an option.  Pride would not allow it.  He would rather die than deny himself.  He would rather hang than admit his wrong:

Judas now cast himself at the feet of Jesus, acknowledging Him to be the Son of God, and entreating Him to deliver Himself. The Saviour did not reproach His betrayer. He knew that Judas did not repent; his confession was forced from his guilty soul by an awful sense of condemnation and a looking for of judgment, but he felt no deep, heartbreaking grief that he had betrayed the spotless Son of God, and denied the Holy One of Israel. Yet Jesus spoke no word of condemnation. He looked pityingly upon Judas, and said, For this hour came I into the world.

A murmur of surprise ran through the assembly. With amazement they beheld the forbearance of Christ toward His betrayer. Again there swept over them the conviction that this Man was more than mortal. But if He was the Son of God, they questioned, why did He not free Himself from His bonds and triumph over His accusers?

Judas saw that his entreaties were in vain, and he rushed from the hall exclaiming, It is too late! It is too late! He felt that he could not live to see Jesus crucified, and in despair went out and hanged himself. DA 722


Application:  I thinking of Judas I can't help but think of myself.  I see too much of the betrayer in me.  Through my judgmentalism, through my words of criticism, through my pride.  And my heart cries out... "Lord have mercy on me a sinner!  Save me from myself before I consume myself; before I self-destruct."

The words of Michael Card strike so close to home:  

Traitor's Look
Michael Card

How did it feel to take the place
Of honor at the meal
To take the sup from His own hand
A prophesy to seal

Was it because He washed your feet
That you sold Him as a slave
The Son of Man, the Lamb of God
Who'd only come to save

The silver that they paid to you
From out their precious till
Was meant to buy a spotless lamb
A sacrifice to kill

How heavy was the money bag
That couldn't set you free
It became a heavy millstone
As you fell into the sea

Now Judas don't you come to close
I fear that I might see
That traitor's look upon your face
Might look too much like me

Cause just like you I've sold the Lord
And often for much less
And like a wretched traitor
I betrayed Him with a kiss

Prayer:  O Lord Jesus forgive me for those who I have spoken sweetly to and then stabbed behind their backs.  For in betraying them I have betrayed You my Lord.  O Jesus I would yield my life to You this morning.  Take me Jesus, shake me, remake me.  Let this heart be Yours before it swells and bursts with pride.  Take it before it takes me.  Kill me Jesus before I kill myself.  Let me be crucified with You that I might be raised with You.  

You alone have the power to teach me a life of selflessness.  You alone can turn pride to humility and arrogance to self-distrust.  You alone can melt a heart of stone and soften a calloused conscience.  O Jesus, break me like You broke Peter... Turn my betrayal to a blessing and my unbelief to faith.  

Come dear Jesus.  I confess I am a sinner and You are my Savior.  By faith I receive You now... help Thou my unbelief. 


No comments: