Friday, November 2, 2007

Embrace the Cross

The grain of wheat that preserves its own life can produce no fruit. It abides alone. Christ could, if He chose, save Himself from death. But should He do this, He must abide alone. He could bring no sons and daughters to God. Only by yielding up His life could He impart life to humanity. Only by falling into the ground to die could He become the seed of that vast harvest,--the great multitude that out of every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, are redeemed to God.

With this truth Christ connects the lesson of self-sacrifice that all should learn: "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." All who would bring forth fruit as workers together with Christ must first fall into the ground and die. The life must be cast
into the furrow of the world's need. Self-love, self-interest, must perish. And the law of self-sacrifice is the law of self-preservation. The husbandman preserves his grain by casting it away. So in human life. To give is to live. The life that will be preserved is the life that is freely given in service to God and man. Those who for Christ's sake sacrifice their life in this world will keep it unto life eternal.

The life spent on self is like the grain that is eaten. It disappears, but there is no increase. A man may gather all he can for self; he may live and think and plan for self; but his life passes away, and he has nothing. The law of self-serving is the law of self-destruction. The Desire of Ages, p. 623-624.

Observation: Powerful words... The law of self-serving is the law of self-desctruction. And the flip side would be that the law of self-sacrifice is the law of self-preservation. Die and you will live. Seek to save your life and you will die. Why? Because our life is dependent upon Jesus. He is the source. As as the source of life He laid down His life. He showed us the heart of our Father. He showed us that we serve a God ready and willing to give His very life for us. There is no good thing that He withholds from His children. At the cross the lie was forever broken that God is withholding something from us. For in Christ He gave all... There was nothing left to give.

Application: These words came to my mind this morning as I was reading from The Desire of Ages. I hear Jesus saying them to my heart; inviting me to come and die:

Embrace the Cross
Steve Green

I am crucified with Christ
Therefore I no longer live
Jesus Christ now lives in me
(Repeat twice)

Embrace the cross
Where Jesus suffered
Though it will cost
All you claim as yours
Your sacrifice will seem small
Beside the treasure
Eternity can't measure
What Jesus holds in store

Embrace the love
The cross requires
Cling to the one
Whose heart knew every pain
Receive from Jesus
Fountains of compassion
Only He can fashion
Your heart to move as His

Oh, wondrous cross our desires rest in you
Lord Jesus make us bolder
To face with courage the shame and disgrace
You bore upon Your shoulder

Embrace the life
That comes from dying
Come trace the steps
The Savior walked for you
An empty tomb
Concludes Golgotha's sorrow
Endure then till tomorrow
Your cross of suffering
Embrace the cross
Embrace the cross
The cross of Jesus

Prayer: Lord Jesus it is hard for me to comprehend the amount that You suffered for me. At times I feel in denial that anything I have done would have caused your death. But Lord I realize this is truth. I realize that I have life because You have given Your life. I realize that Your life requires my life. Lord Jesus may I die with You today. Jesus may my life be hid in Yours. May my hopes and dreams be buried in You. Jesus You know how I have longed for recognition. You know that I have envisioned leading a stadium of people in worship. But Jesus, may You are calling me to lead a hut of people in worship. Maybe You are just calling me to lead my family. Maybe You are just calling me. If it is only my worship that You receive it is enough Jesus. You are worthy of me alone. You don't need me to do great things. You just want me to offer myself. That is what You want. You're not looking for someone else Jesus. You are looking for me. And You expect the same. That I would look for no one but You. That I would desire no approval but Yours. That I would seek no success but You. Jesus You are my success. You are my victory and my crown.



No comments: