Friday, November 23, 2007

A Child Again...

God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. The Desire of Ages, p. 759.  

Observation:  Love is the most difficult truth to apply.  Living by patience and letting love seize the day is a slow process.  We must be willing to wait; willing to stop and pray; willing to think and willing to listen.  Love builds trust, and building trust takes time.  Coercion and force are quick but also quenching... The quench the flames of trust.  They destroy the heart of faith...

Application:  What do I want to build in my home?  Trust or fear?  Loyalty or Love?  To build trust I must take the time to love, and listen, and learn.  I must treasure my children... I must seek to enter their world and see through their eyes.  As a parent I must have an incarnational heart.  I must celebrate the simple and rejoice in the known... I must come to know in new ways... I must come to know through the heart of a child.  

Often I have thought: "I wish I could be a child again."  Through my kids I can!

Prayer:  Lord I lift to you this prayer from Glenn Kaiser; asking that You would let your word come to pass in my life.  Let me be as a child.  Teach me to love my kids and learn from them.  Show me truth through their eyes.  Restore to me the trust of my youth; the joy of Thy Salvation!

Like A Little Child
Copyright 1993 Glenn Kaiser Band

Lord Jesus, take me by the hand
Make me like a little child again
Lord Jesus, help me understand
What it means to have You as a friend

Just like a windin' stream
My life goes flowin' by
But when I look up in the sky
I know You're near me
I used to feel so old
But now I've found that pot of gold

No comments: