Friday, October 5, 2007

Thirsty?

Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation. 

     

The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." Rev. 22:17; John 4:14.  The Desire of Ages, p. 454.             

Observation:  Many beverages, but one blessing:  this is the reality of life.  We are surrounded by professed thirst quenchers.  Some of their tag lines include...

Coke is it
Red Bull gives you wings
Pepsi... the choice of a new generation
If it's not found in nature, it's not found in Snapple
Sprite... Obey Your Thirst
Gatorade... for that deep down body thirst

Are these really thirst quenchers?  For that matter, are power, success, money, and fame thirst quenchers?  Are acceptance, recognition, and popularity answers for our thirst?  If they are, why are folk looking for more?  Why do the liquids of this world leave us longing for more?  Contrast these with the promise of Christ:

"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water..."

"Everyone who drinks of this water (the water of this world) will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.""
(John 4:10,13-14 NRSV)

The water Christ gives flows from His heart... It is the refreshing of His Spirit and the cleansing of His blood.  The water Christ gives is power and purity, hope and healing.  The water Christ gives not only quenches our thirst, but makes us thirst quenches; wellsprings of blessing amidst a generation weary with thirst.  Yes, as we drink deep of the Savior, people will come to savor the overflow He produces in our lives.  They will draw near like children around a city fountain on a hot summer day.  They will desire what we have.

Application:  This week I have been listening to a series of messages that Herb Larson gave at the 2006 South Queensland Conference Camp Meeting in Australia.  Larson is a Christian business man who grew up in the church but didn't have a personal conversion experience with Christ until he was 38 years old.  At that time, he decided he would give Jesus one hour a day for two months, and if nothing happened he was going to forsake his faith.  Six weeks into his experience he couldn't sleep, he couldn't focus on his work, and he was ready to forsake Christ.  One last time, he laid prostrate on the floor and told God how angry he was that he wasn't hearing from the Lord and that he was done.  When he got up, the Holy Spirit impressed him to open the word one more time.  In His words, "This time the Scripture bypassed my head and went straight to my heart.  I wept like a baby!"

Larson now challenges folk to give God one hour a day... minimum.  He has even offered to pay some for their time if nothing happens within two months of a daily hour with God.  He says those who have taken him seriously have never been disappointed, and He hasn't had to pay for their time because they have found their payoff in the priceless love of Christ; in the incredible purpose, power, peace, and passion that Jesus brings to their life. According to Larson, "I'm just a shmuck from Northern British Columbia... and if God can use me, he can use you.  Just give him an hour a day and watch what happens."  

Well, the Lord has used Larson to rekindle the embers of my faith.  Last week my life with Christ felt dry and withered.  But through the testimony of this fellow disciple, I feel my heart and faith beginning to blossom again.  The Lord has helped me get out of bed to spend the time with Jesus I need.  And I hear Christ inviting me to share my story with others.  I believe that there are those who will be blessed by what Jesus has done for me.   I battled against sexual sin for 12 years.  God delivered me.  Right now He is in the process of delivering me from my anger issues.  He has blessed me with the ability to write songs that inspire people and lead them closer to Christ.  He answered my prayer for a godly wife and he has given me 3 beautiful children.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank You for calling me back to Yourself this week.  Thank You for being living water for my soul.  Lord I pray for anyone who might read this journal entry... I ask Lord that You will fill their hearts with living water.  Be their thirst quencher.  Give them the courage to give You an hour a day for the next two months.  Lord show up in their life.  Give them purpose and power.  Give them hope and peace.  Fill them with Your joy.  I love You Lord.  I thank You for blessing my life today.  Amen!

No comments: