Sunday, October 7, 2007

Always in Need

Descent from Abraham was proved, not by name and lineage, but by likeness of character. So the apostolic succession rests not upon the transmission of ecclesiastical authority, but upon spiritual relationship. A life actuated by the apostles' spirit, the belief and teaching of the truth they taught, this is the true evidence of apostolic succession. This is what constitutes men the successors of the first teachers of the gospel.  The Desire of Ages, p. 467. 

Observation:  Entitlement is when we have a right to something.  There are those who live with a false sense of entitlement.  They think that their upbringing, their ethnicity, or their gender entitles them to certain rights.  Others believe that it is their religion or denominational affiliation that entitles them to certain spiritual benefits from God.  

The pharisees thought their ethnic origins made them sons of Abraham.  What they didn't realize was: 

"A person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God."
(Rom 2:28-29 NRSV)

This is not only a New Testament reality but a Old Testament reality.  Israel came to be after Jacob had wrestled with God.  This was a name of spiritual significance.  Without faith there would have been no Father Abraham, there would have been no Israel, and their would be no church.  Either we are children of God by faith or we are homeless and hopeless.  "Without faith it is impossible to please God!"  

But what is our faith in?  Where do we get our sense of entitlement?   A true sense of it?  There are two things which entitle us to be God's children.  His great love and our great need.  When these two come together we are born again; born into the family of God; born into new life where old things are gone and all things have become new.  

Application:  At times I have fallen into the trap of thinking I know the Scriptures.  That I have done the right things and listened to the right songs and prayed the right prayers...  This morning I am reminded that my only right to the throne of grace is my time of need...  I need to need.  Desperation is must be unending.  Dependance must be a way of life...  As surely is I can't live but a few minutes without breathing, spiritually I can't survive without continual and constant communion with Christ... Prayer is the breath of my soul.

And as surely as I can't live without taking extended times to eat, I can't survive without a daily supply of His word feeding my soul.  Bottom line:  I need Jesus.  I will always need him.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus keep my need ever before me.  Keep me humble.  Keep me seeking you.  Keep me close to Your heart.  Amen


No comments: