Friday, October 12, 2007

Advanced Notice

Luke 24:6-9 Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee, 7 saying that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again." 8 And they remembered His words, 9 and returned from the tomb and reported all these things to the eleven and to all the rest.

Observation: God always gives us advance notice. It doesn't matter whether it is regarding the affairs of nations or our own personal struggles. He gave Abraham advanced notice. Moses knew from early childhood that he was to be the deliveror of Israel. Jacob knew that Esau would be his servent. David knew that he was to be king.

In spite of this advanced notice, we sometimes forget or sometimes misunderstand. The people of Christ's day thought he was going to come in his glory at the first coming. Christians today are once again confused thinking he is going to come in secret. Funny how we have the two comings reversed.

Anyway, God is all about advanced notice:

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD does nothing Unless He reveals His secret counsel To His servants the prophets.

John 13:19 19 "From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He.

John 14:28-29 28 "You heard that I said to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 "Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe.

John 16:4 4 "But these things I have spoken to you, so that when their hour comes, you may remember that I told you of them.

What is the purpose of His advanced warning? It is two fold: that we might remember His prophecy and believe that He is the Christ. The sovreign ruler of the affairs of men. The govenor of all history.


Application: What is God calling me to remember this morning. For one, he is inviting me to remember my first love Jesus Christ.

It is Jesus who has saved me from the pit of sin, and a life of selfishness. Christ is the one who is transforming my heart; taking my anger issues and my resentment. Jesus is the one who is helping me to make my kids a priority.

No comments: