Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Matter of the Heart

"The kingdom of God cometh not with outward show; [margin]: neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." The kingdom of God begins in the heart...

He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart.

Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. The Desire of Ages, p. 506, 509.

Observation: At the heart of Christ's work is a work of the heart. His kingdom is a mustard seed. It begins in the hidden places. It rises from the dirty and dark places of the earth; the dingy and dark hearts of fallen men. O praise God that He starts his work in the most worthless of hearts; hearts that the world has written off; hearts that have been discarded and cast away.

In fact, the more desperate the heart, the more determined our Savior. There is no one too far gone; no one too despicable for God. "Blessed are the poor in Spirt, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven!" Yes, the kingdom comes to those who are destitute. As David wrote:

"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit."
(Psa 34:18 NAS95S)

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."
(Psa 51:17 NAS95S)

Not only does the Lord not despise the broken and contrite heart, but he delights in it. He is near the brokenhearted. The reason He rejoices in our brokenness is because, by nature, he is a Gentle Healer. He longs to bring restoration. But, until we acknowledge and confess our brokenness, He will not step in. He honors our denial. He loves us enough to let us lie to ourselves. However, when we choose to stop believing the lie, when we choose to confess our brokenness and our need, than He will forgive, and cleanse, and heal. In fact, the psalmist declares that God ready and willing to forgive:

"For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You."
(Psa 86:5 NAS95S)

Application: As I think of the work God has done in my heart over the past several years I must say it hasn't been easy. Recently I was watching Cheri Peter's Celebrating Life in Recovery and she told a story about her husband saying to her one day: "Cheri, I can't wait until the day that You really let me love you... when you really let me get close to you."

She says that she thought to herself: "What do you mean... I've never let anyone get as close as You have. I've been an addict. It used to be that someone was lucky if I stayed around for more than two months. I've been with you for 10 years... What do you mean I haven't let you love me."

She goes on: "Later I was talking to God and he said to my heart. Cheri, Brad is right. You haven't let him love you and you haven't let me love you either."

Wow, that must have been painful. But when I'm honest, I think there are big parts of my heart that are still off limits for God. Places where I have said you can't come here. And He hasn't. He loves me too much to violate my boundaries. But when will I say to Him, no more boundaries Jesus? I trust you. You can have all of me. All of my heart. All of my thoughts. All of my feelings.

I guess it feels like I have said this, but that as I journey closer to His heart for me, I find that there is more of my heart yet to be given. O how He loves me. O how gentle and true and kind is He... I love my Jesus.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, I need You. I need You to break my heart and bring me to my knees. Lord there are areas in my life I have withheld from You. I think of my hopes and my dreams. I have refused to lay them before You and therefore I feel like I have stopped dreaming.

The other day when someone asked me what I really desire to do and be, I wasn't sure. I believe this is because I haven't come before you with my future. I would rather believe in fate or chance than give you the chance to direct my life. An "oh well" attitude has been easier for me than a "Your will" attitude. But "oh well" isn't working for me. I'm not satisfied and I'm not content. Lord I desire Your will. I want to be able to say at the end of the day that my life has purpose and meaning. I want to be able to tell of how You have orchestrated and planned and inspired. Like a great song, I want my life to bring tears to seekers' eyes. I desire that other hearts would be broken as You break my heart with Your perfect will. O Jesus, make my life a song of salvation. Sing through me, sing over me, make me Your song.

Why so Anxious?
c2003 james moon

My heart has been so dry
Consumed with the barrenness of pleasure.
I long for a new song to sing
To the King of heaven

Why are you downcast O my soul?
Why so anxious within?
Hope in God, for I shall praise him
I shall praise him again

Chorus
Beyond this dark night
I can see a new day coming.
When You will take my life,
And make it a song

These things I remember
As I pour out my soul.
How I led the people
In procession to Your throne

Why are you downcast O my soul?
Why so anxious within?
Hope in God, for I shall praise him
I shall praise him again

Chorus
Beyond this dark night
I can see a new day coming.
When You will take my life,
And make it a song

Bridge
Deep calls to deep
At the thunder of your cataracts
All Your waves Your billows
Roll over, over me

In the midst of this dark night
A new day has come
Lord you have my life
I am Your song. (2x)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.