Monday, March 14, 2011

The Success of Surrender

David had learned by his own experience how hard is the path of him who departs from God. He had felt the condemnation of the broken law, and had reaped the fruits of transgression; and his whole soul was moved with solicitude that the leaders of Israel should be true to God, and that Solomon should obey God's law, shunning the sins that had weakened his father's authority, embittered his life, and dishonored God. David knew that it would require humility of heart, a constant trust in God, and unceasing watchfulness to withstand the temptations that would surely beset Solomon in his exalted station; for such prominent characters are a special mark for the shafts of Satan. Turning to his son, already acknowledged as his successor on the throne, David said: "And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off forever. Take heed now; for the Lord hath chosen thee to build a house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it." – {PP 750.3}

David gave Solomon minute directions for building the temple, with patterns of every part, and of all its instruments of service, as had been revealed to him by divine inspiration. Solomon was still young, and shrank from the weighty responsibilities that would devolve upon him in the erection of the temple and in the government of God's people. David said to his son, "Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." – {PP 751.1} – PP Ch. 73 - The Last Years of David

The greatest of men are susceptible to the greatest of falls.  Sin is no respecter of persons.  Yesterday's success in Christ, even today's, only means that one is a greater target for the enemy.  Our only hope, our only safety is daily death in Christ.  Our only anchor is Jesus, whether the seas be raging or placid.  In fact, in some ways, still waters are when we need the Lord the most.  For if we are not diligent in surrender those waters can quickly become stale and stagnate.  The only hope it times of prosperity is falling prostrate before our Savior and praying, "Jesus, lead me all the way.  Let me not forget the purpose to which You have called me, even in this time of prosperity."

Recently I had a church leader say, we are so happy with the way God is using your life.  Yes you have admin deficiencies, but Your relational strengths make up for your weaknesses.  I don't want to stay here.  I had someone else comment on what a "man of God" I was.  That doesn't really feel like a complement.  Yes I want to be a man of God.  But it is to easy to settle into a comment like that and become complacent, prideful, or boastful.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, I think of the song that Leeland Mooring wrote and Michael W. Smith sings called Be Lifted High.  And the second verse is ringing in my heart this morning:

And even now that I'm inside Your hands
Help me not to grow prideful again.
And if I'm blessed with the riches of kings,
How would I ever think that it was me?
For You brought me from darkness to light, 
Jesus, You be lifted high.



Lord my prayer this morning is that of John the Baptist:  "You must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30 NRSV)  Let me get lost in the shadow of Your cross Lord Jesus.  Lost in the glory of Your sacrifice dear Jesus.  There is nothing good in me but what You have put their.  There is nothing worthy of praise in me but Your glorious grace.  You are my reason Lord Jesus.  You are my joy.  You are my all in all.  I just want to be a life used, and spent, and poured out for Your glory.  Give me a willing and obedient heart dear Jesus.  Pour Your Holy Spirit upon me and wash away all of my sin and my pride.  Pour Your Spirit upon me and accomplish Your purpose and plan.  I surrender Lord Jesus... and if their is something I am holding back... Some part of me that isn't surrendered... Jesus, take that too... Take all of me, all for Your glory.  I am Yours!

No comments: