Friday, April 10, 2009

They Have Not Rejected You

"And it came about when Samuel was old that he appointed his sons judges over Israel. Now the name of his firstborn was Joel, and the name of his second, Abijah; they were judging in Beersheba. His sons, however, did not walk in his ways, but turned aside after dishonest gain and took bribes and perverted justice. 

Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah; and they said to him, "Behold, you have grown old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us like all the nations." But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to the LORD. The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them. "Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day—in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods—so they are doing to you also." (1Samuel 8:1-8 NAS95S)

Observation:  What was the difference between Eli's relationship with His sons, and Samuel's relationship with his sons?  Was there a difference?  

The Scripture records of Samuel's boys:  

"His sons, however, did not walk in his ways, but turned aside after dishonest gain and took bribes and perverted justice." (1Samuel 8:3 NAS95S)

And of Eli's sons it says: 

"Now the sons of Eli were worthless men; they did not know the LORD...  the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD, for the men despised the offering of the LORD." (1Samuel 2:12, 17 NAS95S)

And the Scripture also says of Eli:  

"'Why do you kick at My sacrifice and at My offering which I have commanded in My dwelling, and honor your sons above Me, by making yourselves fat with the choicest of every offering of My people Israel?'" (1Samuel 2:29 NAS95S)

Maybe the difference between Eli and Samuel as fathers was that Samuel sought to discipline His sons and Eli did not.  However, it says that Samuel made His sons judges in His old age.  Surely he knew what was in their hearts by then.   However, maybe he didn't.  The story of David's selection as king, when the Lord informs Samuel that God looks on the heart, seems to suggest that possibly Samuel wasn't the best judge of character.  

What's going on here?  Hmmm...  Are there any other clues?  

The book Patriarchs and Prophets offers some interesting insight into this whole story regarding Samuel and His sons:

It was with the full assent of the nation that Samuel had appointed his sons to office, but they did not prove themselves worthy of their father's choice. The Lord had, through Moses, given special directions to His people that the rulers of Israel should judge righteously, deal justly with the widow and the fatherless, and receive no bribes. But the sons of Samuel "turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment." The sons of the prophet had not heeded the precepts which he had sought to impress upon their minds. They had not copied the pure, unselfish life of their father. The warning given to Eli had not exerted the influence upon the mind of Samuel that it should have done. He had been to some extent too indulgent with his sons, and the result was apparent in their character and life.

The injustice of these judges caused much dissatisfaction, and a pretext was thus furnished for urging the change that had long been secretly desired. "All the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah, and said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations." The cases of abuse among the people had not been referred to Samuel. Had the evil course of his sons been known to him, he would have removed them without delay; but this was not what the petitioners desired. Samuel saw that their real motive was discontent and pride, and that their demand was the result of a deliberate and determined purpose. No complaint had been made against Samuel. All acknowledged the integrity and wisdom of his administration; but the aged prophet looked uponthe request as a censure upon himself, and a direct effort to set him aside. He did not, however, reveal his feelings; he uttered no reproach, but carried the matter to the Lord in prayer and sought counsel from Him alone.

And the Lord said unto Samuel: "Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken Me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee." The prophet was reproved for grieving at the conduct of the people toward himself as an individual. They had not manifested disrespect for him, but for the authority of God, who had appointed the rulers of His people. Those who despise and reject the faithful servant of God show contempt, not merely for the man, but for the Master who sent him. It is God's words, His reproofs and counsel, that are set at nought; it is His authority that is rejected.  Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 605, 606.

Apparently Samuel had a desire to please, in that He took the people's request for a king as a rejection of His leadership.  However, the Lord rebuke's Him in saying, They are not rejecting You, They are rejecting me.  

Application:  This truth is so critical to my leadership in my home.  When my children throw a fit because they are not getting their way, they are not rejecting me.  They are rejecting the Lord.  

That's not to say that they are little rebels with no hope of salvation.  It's just to say they are human.  They are sinful and selfish like everyone else.  They are like Israel asking for a king.  "The kid across the street has a game system, why can I have one too."

Or, "Johnny parents let him watch thus and such, and why can't I?"  

Well, if I take these "Give us a king" requests personally, then I'll easily be tempted to think they're rejecting me.  And I want to be liked.  

However my job is not for my kids to like me, my job is to teach them the kind of responsibility that will one day lead them to a deep and abiding love for Jesus.  My job is not to indulge them, but to disciple.  Not to pass them off to the DVD player, other parents, or other friends, but to pass onto them what I have learned of Jesus, of life, and of the grace of the Father.  

And if I do this, they will like me in the long run...   Short term, they may say... "Your mean.  You don't love me," and blah blah blah...  But it is all worth it when they say, "Thanks for showing me Jesus.  Thanks for doing what was right and not always what I liked."

Yes, always doing what my kids like, will not have a likable outcome for them, me, or others... 

Maybe there is a time to let them do as they like and suffer the consequences of their choices, as God did with Israel when they asked for a King...  However, this time shouldn't be by accident or simply in an effort to please.  It must come through a prayerful decision making process.  

On the flip side, there are clearly times when my children must here "NO!" Or, must be redirected toward a better decision.  

Prayer:  O Jesus, I feel week as a father.  I think my weakness is in a great part because of my own lack of discipline and focus.  I have not traveled light.  I have taken stuff with me.  I have taken lust with me.  I have taken indulgence with me.  And all of this stuff... All of this consumption has taken it's toll on my soul... on my integrity.

Jesus forgive me.  Cleanse me.  Change me.  Don't give up on me Jesus.  Restore unto me the joy of Your salvation.  Restore to me the joy I have found in children in years gone by.  Make me intentional about investing in the lives of my children.  Please Jesus, I need Your power and grace to be a leader who teaches my children to be leaders in the Kingdom of God.  Don't let me make the mistake of Eli and Samuel.  Don't let me walk that painful road.  For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world for Christ, but loose his own children.

O Jesus, save me, and save me children.  Change me and change my kids.  Make me a priest... first in my home.

Jim Moon's Compass
Roles:  Disciple, Husband, Father, 
Pastor, Prayer Coordinator

Jim's Mission:  My life mission is to be a disciple-making disciple of Jesus Christ; first in my home, than in the World.  I will walk with God, pray with power, serve as priest of my home, love without fear, and live with integrity.  

No comments: