Monday, August 3, 2009

Waiting for the Waters to Stir

"Now there is in Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porticoes. In these lay a multitude of those who were sick, blind, lame, and withered, [waiting for the moving of the waters; for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.] A man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He *said to him, "Do you wish to get well?" The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me."" (John 5:2-7 NAS95S)

Observation: How many a man sits by the pool, waiting for the waters to stir? How many a woman has a miracle in mind, but not the miracle Christ has in mind? How often do we expect God to work in the way He did yesterday, when He has a new way in mind for today? And why does He work in a new way? Could it be He doesn't want our focus to be on the means of the miracle but the Gracious Giver of the miracle?

Application: Where is my focus? Where am I looking? To the how of it all, or to my Healer? To the means of the miracle, or to the God-man who works all miracles in my life?

Prayer: Lord Jesus you know the miracle I need today. I thought I had a means and a method. I was focused in on that and eventually became discouraged. My means was about men. My means was about me. Jesus today I'm looking to You for the miracle. However you want to do this I want to be open to Your leading. Father give me discernment to see when You are calling me to take up my mat and walk. Help me to see when it is You... I don't want to just wait for the waters to stir. But I will wait for You to speak. Let my life be what You stir. Let my heart be what You change. Don't just stir the waters, stir me. Don't just heal my flesh, heal my heart. Make me a miracle I pray. Amen!

1 comment:

Martin Weber said...

I enjoy the part of the story where the suffering man says: "I have no man." Jesus didn't argue with him--He just proceeded to heal both his body and his soul!