Thursday, May 17, 2012

Give Your Servant an Understanding Heart

And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had rendered; and they feared the king, for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him to administer justice. (1 Kings 3:28 NKJV)
Observation: Ability to lead is not dependent on what we have in ourself, it is a gift from God: 
"Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"
The speech pleased the LORD, that Solomon had asked this thing. Then God said to him: "Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days."" (1 Kings 3:9–14 NKJV)
The reason for Solomon's great discernment, the reason he had the courage and ability to delegate, and the reason people respected him was because he sought wisdom from on high.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind." (James 1:5–6 NKJV)
Application: Do I truly believe God can give me the kind of wisdom needed to lead in this district? Is my faith in His faithfulness ready to receive His wisdom?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I believe, help Thou my unbelief. Grant to me confidence in Your providence. Lord fill my heart with faith, hope, and love. Teach me trust and teach me wisdom. Show me Your ways. 

When I don't know what to do as a Pastor, help me to call upon Your name. Lord there are so many books, so many resources, so many people saying this is how you do it. Lord, show me the way. Call me to prayer when I feel stumped and uncertain. Lord call our church to prayer and let us ask wisdom of You.

1 comment:

Jenifer said...

Wow, Jim! I'm not a pastor, but this is so applicable to my life as well. There are so many times when I find myself crying out to God for discernment and compassion! Thank you for this post today!
--Jen