Friday, May 25, 2012

Dim Eyes and Brighter Blessings

Genesis 48:10-11 10 Now the eyes of Israel were dim with age, so that he could not see. Then Joseph brought them near him, and he kissed them and embraced them.  11 And Israel said to Joseph, "I had not thought to see your face; but in fact, God has also shown me your offspring!" 

Genesis 48:15-16   "God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, The God who has fed me all my life long to this day,  16 The Angel who has redeemed me from all evil, Bless the lads; Let my name be named upon them, And the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; And let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth." 

Observation:  Like the eyes of his father Isaac, Israel's eyes were dim when he gave the blessing to his grand children.  

Genesis 27:1-4  Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, "My son." And he answered him, "Here I am."  2 Then he said, "Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death.  3 "Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.  4 "And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die." 

It is important to note the difference between Isaac and Israel, for there was no mistake on Jacob's part in blessing the younger child.  He intentionally crossed his hands to give Ephraim the greater blessing.  What is it about dim eyes and blessing?  Why was their deception in one case and intention in another?  Why was Joseph the younger more blessed than all of his older brothers?  Could this be God choosing the weak things of the world to shame the strong?  

I think of the old hymn that says:  

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Dim eyes and brighter blessings.  Could this be what God is calling us to?  To eyes dim to the ways of this would.  Eyes ready to close in sleep to the wickedness of sin.  After healing the blind man, Christ declared:  

John 9:39  "For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind." 

It appears that there is a sight that comes with blindness and a blindness that comes with sight.  I want the spiritual sight that comes with a blindness to sin. 

Prayer:  O Jesus, change my gaze.  Give me an eye for Your glory.  Make me blind to this world that I might bring blessing to it's inhabitants.  Let my eyes be glazed over with thoughts of You and Your kingdom come; not with the the illure of addiction, lust, and deception.  

Reign on the throne of my imagination Lord Jesus.  Come captivate me with visions of You.  Show me the way You would have me to go. Dim my eyes and with brighter blessings.

No comments: