Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Glory in Spendor... Glory in Shame... Glory to Your Name

"Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."" (Matthew 17:4 NAS95)

Observation:  While Peter was offering to make three tents, the Father engulfed them in his presence.  As the impetuous one was still speaking, God's grace became the tent of Moses, Elijah, Jesus and His disciples.  His favor sheltered them with the words: "This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him"  At this moment the disciples were experiencing the reality of Jesus words:  

""For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."" (Matthew 18:20 NAS95)

The Shekinah was among them.  The Beloved of the Father shining in all His glory, just as He'd promised His disciples six days earlier:

""Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."" (Matthew 16:28 NAS95)

This morning as I was beginning this prayer time, I decided to pray a covering prayer from Skip MacCarty's covering prayers email that he sent me a few years ago.  This was the prayer for the 17th of the month:

Show me Your glory, strengthening me anew every morning with power through Your Spirit in my inner being, that I may grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and through that love surpasses knowledge, help me to know it and be rooted and established in it that I may be filled to the measure of Your own fullness, reflecting Your glory and love to others in my character, words and actions that they might be attracted and drawn to You.  (Ex. 33:19-20; Isa.  33:2; Mt. 5:14-16; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 3:14-19; Phil. 1:9-11) 

As I reflect on this prayer, and upon the Father's overshadowing of Jesus and His disciples... I realize that to see God's glory is to see Jesus.  And our only worthy response to that glory is obedience:

"Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood And has not sworn deceitfully." (Psalms 24:3–4 NAS95)

""Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." (Matthew 5:8 NAS95)

The Lord reveals Himself to the pure in heart; to those willing and ready to obey.  He reveals himself to humble fisherman who willingly leave their nets to go wherever His bidding will lead them.  He reveals himself to those willing to listen to His Beloved Son.

The Pharisees and Sadducees desired to see Jesus in His glory... "they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven. But He replied to them, "When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.' "And in the morning, 'There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times? "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah."" (Matthew 16:1–4 NAS95)

Granted, the sign of Jonah was a glorious moment.  But it was glory cloaked in darkness.  Glory cloaked in suffering and shame.  Because of their disobedient and rebellious hearts, this was the only glory with the potential power to bring the murderous throng to the point where they could see Christ in His radiant glory.  

In fact, it was Peter, one of those who had been with Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration who would speak to these hardened sinners who had stood mocking at Mount Calvary... At the Pentecost, the glory of that moment with Jesus, Moses, and Elijah would rest upon the disciples of the upper room and as Peter preached, the crowd would be convicted of the glory that had been veiled in shame and reproach before them at Mount Calvary:

""Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know— this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death...  But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power... Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."  (Acts 2:22–24, 33, 37–38 NAS95)

So what does this all mean?  Well if you want to see Jesus glory in splendor, follow Him, obey Him, trust Him; otherwise the cross is where you will witness His glory.  In our disobedience the only thing which can get to you and I, is the glory of the cross.  There is no other sign, no other manifestation of God's presence that can break the power of sin in our lives.  

In fact, even those who listen and follow still need the cross.  Because while we may do good things... at our core we are contagious with the infectious disease of sin.  And when we least expect it, it raises it's ugly head in our lives.

Application:  As I look back on my life, I realize that I have had those Mount of Transfiguration experiences.  I have beheld the glory of God.  The first one I can remember was student week of prayer at Andrews Academy.  Another glory of God experience was Lynn Bryson in the seventh grade.  Then there was the time when I was walking up above the Path Finder building and the crimson leaves of autumn.  There was the moment when I called Laurence after finishing the song Take Me Now.  There was the prayer time with the pastors above Estes Park and the prayer time this March at The Cove.  

I am so grateful to God for all the glorious moments He has bestowed upon me.  But I realize that I still need Calvary.  Because it is all too easy to become proud and boastful about the moments I have spent in His glory.  I realize from yesterday's study and reflection that Lucifer was one who stood closest to the Father, but he fell away because of spiritual pride.  And just the time when I think I am over spiritual pride, it can rise up again in me.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, may I boast in nothing but Your cross.  Holy Father, I am determined by Your grace to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified.  You have affirmed this calling through Dwight's message from annual council that Ingrid and I listened to on Sunday morning in which he spoke on Zechariah 12:10ff:

""I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn." (Zechariah 12:10 NAS95)
Father, in his confession of personal jealousy toward Mark Finley, Dwight reminded me that we all need to look upon the One we have pierced.  That no matter how many Mount of Transfiguration moments we have, we ultimately must return day by day to Mount Calvary.  And Jesus, only as we see You hanging there in all of Your Glory... bearing our sin, our shame, and our guilt... only then shall the power of sin be broken in our lives, only then shall we join with the angels in song of praise and adoration... 

""Worthy... Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing."" (Revelation 5:12 NAS95)


No comments: