Monday, August 16, 2010

So They Would Not Be Defiled

"Then they *led Jesus from Caiaphas into the Praetorium, and it was early; and they themselves did not enter into the Praetorium so that they would not be defiled, but might eat the Passover." (John 18:28 NAS95)

Observation:  What was it like to eat the passover after rejecting the Christ?  Was it a meal of contempt?  A supper of pride?  What was it?  How could their be any peace in it?  What is religion when it doesn't come from a heart of honesty, integrity, and compassion?  What is it when it is driven by jealousy and contempt?  I would have to think that it is an exercise in fear and self-justification.

Application:  There are times when my worship feels like it comes more from expediency than sincerity.  More from getting it done than sitting at the feet of Jesus.  And in those times, others get hurt just as Christ got crucified.  In those times I end up yelling at my kids if we're having family worship.  I end up feeling bitter rather than blessed.  O how I need to move from expediency to humble expectation.  From a hurry up worship experience to a stand still and wait experience.  How I need to stop.  How I need to listen.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, this morning I feel the need to be on task.  To be on schedule.  And I don't really want to linger here.  But... what would You have me do?  O Lord, take me now...

No comments: