Saturday, June 27, 2009

Between the Porch and Altar

"Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (2Timothy 3:12 NAS95S)

Observation: There is a purity that comes through adversity; a holiness that is forged in the furness of affliction. Yesterday I was reading from the Spirit of Prophecy and challenged by these words:

Some of the servants of God, even ministers, are so easily discouraged, self is so quickly hurt, that they imagine themselves slighted and injured when it is not so. [BEGIN P.130] They think their lot hard. Such realize not how they would feel should the sustaining hand of God be withdrawn, and they pass through anguish of soul. They would then find their lot tenfold harder than it was before, while they were employed in the work of God, suffering trials and privations, yet withal having the Lord's approbation. Some that are laboring in the cause of God know not when they do have an easy time. They have had so few privations and know so little of want or wearing labor or burden of soul that when they have an easy time, when they are favored of God and almost entirely free from anguish of spirit, they know it not and think their trials great. I saw that unless such have a spirit of self-sacrifice, and are ready to labor cheerfully, not sparing themselves, God will release them. He will not acknowledge them as His self-sacrificing servants, but will raise up those who will labor, not slothfully, but in earnest, and will know when they have an easy time. God's servants must feel the burden of souls and weep between the porch and the altar, crying: "Spare Thy people, O Lord" (Testimonies for the Church, Volume 1, p. 129.3).

Application: These words ring true because I have murmured and complained against God. I have bemoaned the fact that our church and district isn't growing fast enough. I have whimpered about not having enough time. I have feared that there is nothing I can do. O how these feelings of self-pity rise up with such ease. And yet what I consider to be difficulty is really not. What I consider to be sacrifice is really simply a meager gift out of the abundance of my comfort. I don't know hardship and I don't know pain. I don't know sacrifice and I don't know strife. God has been good to me.

Prayer: Lord Jesus I'm not asking for persecution today. But I am asking for a burden for souls, for a passion, for a dedication, and for Your Spirit of Self-Sacrifice to take control of my heart, my life, and my ministry. Jesus, I don't know how to pray as I should... Pray through me Jesus. Make my life a vessel of intercession. Pray through me Jesus. Serve through me. Work through me. God whatever You want to do with my life. I'm asking You to do it. However You want to use me Lord Jesus... I'm asking that You would use me. Please take control. Please have Your way. Amen!

1 comment:

Martin Weber said...

Jim, I find it easy to harbor a sense of entitlement, since I am living for the Lord and I know I am. Not that I expect God to do what I want Him to do, but that He would help me be fruitful and fulfilled in His service. Then the Holy Spirit (sooner or later) brings me back to reality and helps me realize that I don't deserve anything--everything is through grace. Besides, I don't even know what a blessing is sometimes--and some of my greatest disappointments have turned out to be wonderful blessings. Meanwhile, I still hate the confusion and frustration of not really knowing what's going on or exactly how God is working.
Martin