Monday, March 3, 2008

Respect the Past

"Then they came near to him and said, "We will build here sheepfolds for our livestock and cities for our little ones; but we ourselves will be armed ready to go before the sons of Israel, until we have brought them to their place, while our little ones live in the fortified cities because of the inhabitants of the land." (Numbers 32:16-17 NAS95S)

Observation:  The sons and Gad and Reuben were not intimidated by past experience, but neither were they resistant to it.  

Application:  Often in the church, we are confronted with nay sayers.  People who say we can't do this because... Because God closed a door.  Because we tried it.  Because, because, because.   But, But, But.  

However, what I hear the Lord saying through this story is:  Respect the past as You move forward into the future.  And respecting the past is all about respecting the people to who it is still the present.  Respecting the God to whom it is still the present.  You have nothing to fear for the future except you forget how I have led you in the past.

Prayer:  O dear Jesus.  Help me to listen to what you are saying out of the past.  Make my heart receptive to the voice of history.  May I learn from the mistakes of others rather than repeating them.  May I honor those who are my elders.  May I listen to their voice of wisdom but not be paralyzed by it.  Grant Your favor that I might influence the elders in my life with honor, respect, and vision.  In Your name Lord Jesus.  Amen!

No comments: