Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Up O Well

"Then it came about when she came to him, that she persuaded him to ask her father for a field. Then she alighted from her donkey, and Caleb said to her, "What do you want?" She said to him, "Give me a blessing, since you have given me the land of the Negev, give me also springs of water." So Caleb gave her the upper springs and the lower springs."  (Judges 1:14–15 NAS95)

Observation:  Caleb's daughter Achsah asked for more than just land... She asked for water.  It is through the springs of living water that a barren land is brought to life.  Through springs of living water that flowers grow and fruit is born.  O that we might ask our Heavenly Father for the Springs of Living water to flow in the barren landscapes of lives.  O that we might plead from Heaven for the promised showers of our Father's blessing.

I am reminded of the words of Jesus to the Woman at Jacob's Well:

"Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."" (John 4:10 NKJV)

Application:  This morning the Lord woke me and took me on a walk under the moon lit sky.  Again I felt my heart longing and crying out for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.  But what I realize now is... not only do I need the outpouring of God's Spirit... Not only do I need the raining down of His presence... But I need the infilling of God's Spirit.  I need something that is welling up within me.  Something that would be welling up from within our church.  I find myself saying...  

Prayer: Jesus give us the springs of water.  For the Negev land of our American Experience... give us the Springs of Your Spirit.  We live in a land where there is plenty of wealth.  Big houses and fancy cars.  And yet our land is spiritually famished, and morally poor.  We find ourselves hungry for an encounter with the living God.  And the only way this is going to happen is if we also receive the Springs of God's Spirit.  We need an internal well of God's Spirit welling up from the inside out.  

Jesus, You know this.  And I know this.  And now according to Your word, I'm asking You just now: Jesus, give us the living water.  All over this valley there used to be artesian wells.  All over this valley there was a wealth of water just beneath the surface.  And today I am asking You Lord Jesus for the Springs of Water to flow up, to bubble up to the surface in my life.  May me a geyser of Your grace and a wellspring of Your salvation.  Lord, today, as I speak to Your people of the power and blessing that You bestowed upon Jeff Trotter, I am asking You to give us the springs of water.  Lord give us Springs of Water for our desert land.  For without Your Spirit welling up within us... We are just barren, and dry, and dead.  With the Negev, give us the Springs of Water, with our doubts and our fears... give us the grace of Your Spirit.  Fill us with grace and supplication dear Jesus.  Speak to us.  Well up within us.  Fill us.  

No comments: