Monday, October 12, 2009

From Strength to Strength

"Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10 NAS95)

Observation:  The feast of tabernacles is a feast intended to remind God's people of a time when we lived in tents.  Of a time when we were led by the visible presence of God through the wilderness.  Of a time when He provided for our every need.  Of a time when we lived, not by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.  

The feast of tabernacles is intended to teach us:  "The Joy of the Lord is Your strength!"  It's not the house you live in.  It's not a permanent dwelling.    It's not the things you now posses or ever will have.   Rather it is the presence of the living God.  A presence that chooses to dwell with us.  A presence who choose to wander with us.  A presence that "shepherded Israel according to the integrity of his heart, And guided them with his skillful hands." (Psalms 78:72 NAS95) 

Yes our God is the God who chose to dwell with us, to tabernacle with us, not only in the tent of the wilderness sanctuary, but in the tent of flesh and blood.  

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14 NAS95)

Application:  When I think of this God who became flesh.  Who tabernacled in my midst.  Who gives us the tabernacle experience to remind us that His joy is our strength... I think of the words spoken before his death:

""These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." (John 15:11 NAS95)

""Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full." (John 16:24 NAS95)

Through two things He wants to fill me with His joy.  Through His word, "the things He has spoken to me."  And through prayer, the things I would seek of Him... not according to my will... but according to His will and the glory of His name.  

Prayer:  O Lord Jesus, Speak to me and pray through me.  I shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.  And I shall not pray in my own strength, nor according to my own will, but by the power of the Spirit that raised Christ from the grave.  O pray through me Jesus.  Throughout the day.  Without ceasing.  Pray through me.  Make my life Thy Tabernacle.  Make my life Thy prayer.  And let Your will be done in me.

Lord Jesus I claim the words of 2 Corinthians 5:1-5 as Your words to my heart this morning:

"For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life. Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge." (2 Corinthians 5:1–5 NAS95)

Lord through this passage you are speaking to my heart and saying, mortality is a temporary dwelling place.  You are assuring my heart this morning that the infilling of Your Spirit is Your pledge to me of Your promise to swallow up this temporary tent in the eternal life of Your son Jesus Christ; that while I may take my rest in the grave for a short moment...  that when Your come in the clouds of glory... my flesh will be swallowed up in life... eternal life... everlasting life... the life of my dear Savior. 

O how I thank You for this promise.  O how I thank you for this assurance.  The blessed hope Lord is more glorious this morning because you are the one who has tabernacled among us.  The blessed hope is more beautiful this morning because you say to my heart: 

""Receive the Holy Spirit." (John 20:22 NAS95)  Receive the Spirit as my pledge, my guarantee to you, that I will take the temporary, broken, shattered existence of Your life here on this earth, and use it to prepare You for an eternal weight of glory.  Yes, I give You my Spirit as a pledge that my joy shall be Your strength forevermore.  Yes, throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity, you my son, shall sing my praise.  You shall go from strength to strength!


No comments: