Thursday, July 24, 2008

Words


Closely connected with Christ's warning in regard to the sin against the Holy Spirit is a warning against idle and evil words. The words are an indication of that which is in the heart. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." But the words are more than an indication of character; they have power to react on the character. Men are influenced by their own words. Often under a momentary impulse, prompted by Satan, they give utterance to jealousy or evil surmising, expressing that which they do not really believe; but the expression reacts on the thoughts. They are deceived by their words, and come to believe that true which was spoken at Satan's instigation. Having once expressed an opinion or decision, they are often too proud to retract it, and try to prove themselves in the right, until they come to believe that they are. It is dangerous to utter a word of doubt, dangerous to question and criticize divine light. The habit of careless and irreverent criticism reacts upon the character, in fostering irreverence and unbelief. Many a man indulging this habit has gone on unconscious of danger, until he was ready to criticize and reject the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said, "Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."  The Desire of Ages, p. 323

Observation/Application:  From early childhood God has sought to speak to me about words.  The first verse of Scripture I ever remember being taught was Psalm 19:14:

Let the words of my mouth 
and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. 

My Grandmother Moon taught me this verse... I called her Nani.  She was a woman of kind words and caring works.  She fed me lentils, she rubbed my head, she prayed with me.  It's sad to think she is gone.  But her legacy lingers.  It is a legacy of faith.  A legacy that reminds me to watch my words.  A legacy that speaks to my heart this morning with a message of humility:  Speak with thoughtfulness.  Speak with reverence.  Speak honor to your Father in heaven by the way you speak to your brethren.

Prayer:  O Jesus I thank You for Nani.  Thank You for the kind words she spoke to me in my formative years.  Thank You for the days I sat at her table and ate of her grace toward me.  Thank you for her rough hands rubbing my scalp.  Thank You for the love you extended to me through her.  Thank You for her gentle rebuke when she would say to me "O Jimmy!"  When I was in her presence I knew I was loved. 

Father I confess to you that my words have not always been loving.  Many times they have been critical, harsh, doubting, and bitter.  Lord, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks!"  I yield the bitterness of my heart to you this morning.  Lord take my fears about where we are going.  Father take my distrust...  Lord Jesus change my heart.  Restore unto me the joy of Your salvation and let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy Sight.  Forgive me I pray. 

No comments: