Friday, January 11, 2008

Gasping for Prayer

"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer. 

O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach? How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? Selah. But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him. 

Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And trust in the LORD."  (Psalms 4:1-5 NAS95S)

Observation:  In the times of ancient faith, the times of the sanctuary and animal sacrifice, there was both the morning and evening offering, there was the alter of incense which was to always be kept burning:

""Aaron shall burn fragrant incense on it; he shall burn it every morning when he trims the lamps. "When Aaron trims the lamps at twilight, he shall burn incense. There shall be perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations."
(Exodus 30:7-8 NAS95S)

The smoke of this incense was to rise to heaven without ceasing.  It was to represent the Lord's continual devotion to us; His ever present righteousness ascending with our every prayer:

"Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a golden censer; and much incense was given to him, so that he might add it to the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand." (Revelation 8:3-4 NAS95S)

"and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."  (Ephesians 5:2 NAS95S)

It is the sweet smelling incense of Christ's sacrifice, His constant devotion to us that compels us; that draws us into a life of constant prayer; that makes Paul's exhortation a reality in our lives:

 

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (1Thessalonians 5:16-18 NAS95S)

Application:  I have often felt like, how can I possibly pray without ceasing.  I realize now that it's kind of like breathing without ceasing.  For someone has said:  "Prayer is the breath of the soul."  Thus, the question should be:  How can I not pray without ceasing?  How can I not continually trust in God?  

I thank the Lord that He is teaching me to trust and teaching me to pray continually.  I thank Him for teaching me that He desires the sacrifices of righteousness and trust in Him.  And, that He doesn't ask what He does not give.  Yeah, He is the one continually supplying me with His righteousness in my life.  He is the continually awakening trust in my life.  He is the one continually calling me to prayer through every circumstance and difficultly of my life.  And though I might hold my breath for a moment or a few minutes, hours, or days, there comes a point where the hunger for His Spirit which He has placed within me causes me to gasp for air; yeah, to gasp for prayer.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus draw me close to You today.  Keep my heart in constant communion with You.  As your breath air into my lungs, breath your Holy Spirit into my heart that I might pray without ceasing.  Yes, let Your Spirit make constant intercession for me which my words cannot express.  Let Him make unceasing intercession through my life for the poor and oppressed.  Let Your heart be mine Lord Jesus.  Let the compassion and love that pulses through Your veins pulse through mine.  Make me a living sacrifice of righteousness and trust to the glory of Your name.  Amen!

No comments: