Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Rational of Relationship

"For He did not subject to angels the world to come, concerning which we are speaking. But one has testified somewhere, saying, "What is man, that You remember him? Or the son of man, that You are concerned about him? "You have made him for a little while lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And have appointed him over the works of Your hands; You have put all things in subjection under his feet." For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him. But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone. 

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, "I will proclaim Your name to My brethren, In the midst of the congregation I will sing Your praise." And again, "I will put My trust in Him." And again, "Behold, I and the children whom God has given Me." 

Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives. For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham. Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted."
(Hebrews 2:5-18 NAS95S)

Observation:  Son of God.  Son of Man.  Divine.  Human.  The everlasting one stepping into time.  The Father of Creation becoming the Son of creation.  How can it be?  How could he who made us become subject to us and still be our Sovereign?  And yet He was, He is, and always will be.  He to whom all things are subject, subjected Himself to a lowly state... to the existence of a slave and servant.  He was at the mercy of His mother, His father, His brothers and sisters, even His enemies.  He let us raise him, praise him, persecute and kill Him.   He choose to be totally at our mercy that we might be totally at His.  Yes, in making Himself subject to the mercy and whims of sinful man, He made it possible for us to be subject to the mercy and wisdom of all knowing, all loving, and always faithful Father in Heaven.

Application:  I cannot understand this Christ child... I cannot comprehend this mysterious and powerful plan of salvation.  But I accept it.  I wonder at it.  I want to fall on my knees and cry Holy.  Holy is the Lamb, Worthy is He who was slain for my sin, for my selfishness, for my pride and greed.  Worthy is He to receive all glory, honor, power, and dominion; now and forevermore.  

Even as I say I cannot understand, I realize I really can.  For the word understand is a conjunction of two words... under meaning not the typical beneath, but instead between or among, and the word stand meaning to exist or be present.  

So basically understanding can mean to be with.  And that is how we understand God... Not by explanation... But by association.  Not by clever words but by the word incarnate; the word made flesh; the word who dwelt among us that we might behold the glory of our Father.  We know him through relationship not through rationality... At least the rationality of this world which says I must quantify, clarify, and formulate.  

No, we know God through the rational of relationship.  A rational of the heart.  A rational that comes from experiencing His faithfulness, His goodness, His grace, and His provision in our lives.  We understand when He stands with us.  We come to know as we see that we are known by Him.

Prayer:  O Lord Jesus...

"Let my cry come before You, O LORD; Give me understanding according to Your word."
(Psalms 119:169 NAS95S) 

Understanding comes as You stand with me.  As Your presence permeates my being.  Dwell in me Jesus.  Be with me.  Let Your Spirit Rest upon me.  This is my prayer.

No comments: