Sunday, January 2, 2005

Deadly Desires

NAU Genesis 4:5 for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

Observation:  Cain was angry at God.  He felt sad inside.  He looked like a little boy who was pouting.  

Application:  I have felt these feelings when I have chosen my own way.  I felt it this morning when Jay Jay came telling me:  "Daddy, put away your computer!"  In my heart I know I need to be upstairs and I feel angry because I can't do what I want to do.  Cain was angry because He couldn't do what he wanted to do.

Life is not always about what I desire.  It is about doing well.  When I live by my desires alone it can be deadly.  When I do not bring the sacrifice God desires, than those around me become a sacrifice.  When I don't do well my family gets slaughtered.

Prayer:  Lord, what a sobering word this morning.  Help me to do well.  Lord, teach me that righteous living is more desirable than my own wishes and wants.  There is a way that seems right but ends in destruction.  Let me forsake that way.  I embrace Your ways Jesus.  Lead me in Your ways.  Even when it means setting aside my quiet time for a moment to come and minister to my family.  

All of life is sacred.  And while you are calling me to put You first, sometimes that means stopping to minister to the needs of my family.  Teach me to do well.

No comments: